Friday, April 26, 2013

Blog 21: Independent Component 2


LITERAL
(a) I, Marissa Hayman, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.
(b) Mentor: Patti Azevedo. Phone Number: (626) 665-2343
(c) Independent Component 2 Log
(d) Through these 30 hours of work, I have helped not only the women that work at the Pomona Unified School District of Mental Health with their workload, but I have also helped families within the district receive much needed services, whether it be mental help, financial assistance, or simply just someone to talk to. 


INTERPRETIVE 
This is a stack of Healthy Families surveys folders that I counted
all of the surveys for and helped Cherylee see how many students
took the survey.
This is what the scan-tron for the Healthy Families survey looked like. I counted over a thousand surveys, woo!


Some more Healthy Families survey folders I calculated data for. The entire box was filled with folders. Lots of counting.... 

I was on hold with Pacific Clinics, calling in to do a checkup on  a student in the district who was going to therapy. 

Inside Zangle, inputting data for Marynell for an
event called Shoes That Fit. 
For Shoes That Fit. There were long lists with the names of the
children in need of shoes that fit from the different schools
within the Pomona district. Input these names into Zangle with
updated and correct information.  



Here are most lists of children who had to be
input into Zangle.
This is what Zangle looks like after logging in. It's a well put together system.
It's a little slow, but it  organized well. 
Getting ready to make a poster for Family Fun Day!
Finished product. 

This is significant to my project because one of the answers to me EQ is finding treatment for suicidal youth and through my mentorship, families are able to receive treatment for their children. I help make this happen when I make phone calls to parents making sure that they are in need of services and checking up on the kids to make sure they're doing well. Inputting data into Zangle is helpful to my project because the organization of the program allows me to understand what is going on with this children and families that I call.



APPLIED
This component helped me answer my EQ by supporting the necessity of treatment for suicidal youth. When looking through students' folders before calling parents to verify their need of services, I have to read through what has already been done for the child. In most cases, a child starts feeling depressed and is in need of therapy or medication of some sort. Through my mentorship, they are able to get the child the services they are in need of. They have connections with just about everyone to help out the families in the district as best as they can. When I finally get what's going on, I make the call to the parent to ask how their son or daughter is doing and whether or not they would like to continue the services they are receiving. Most of the families respond well and say that their child is doing much better and because of the assistance my mentorship provides, they are no longer in need of services, therefore closing the case and allowing the office to move onto a new one. With all of this being said, this completely supports my best answer of finding treatment for the suicidal youth. 



No comments:

Post a Comment