Thursday, May 16, 2013

Blog 25: Mentorship

      Literal
·     Mentorship Log
·     Cherylee Grove (909) 397-4491 ext. 26574 (Hours are between 9AM-4:30PM Monday-Friday)
My mentor, Patti Azevedo, is currently on medical leave and will be until mid June. She will be unable to take phone calls during this time. Cherylee said she would confirm my hours in her place. 


Interpretive
The most important thing I gained from my mentorship experience is becoming 
more familiar with resources around me. It has helped me become less shy because I work with different people each time I go to mentorship and a lot of the work I was given was to make phone calls, meaning talking to complete strangers. At first, I was ridiculously nervous and intimidated by making phone calls to families. I was so nervous that I had to write out a script each time I called someone. Mentorship has also allowed me to be the best I can be as far as helping out. When going to mentorship, all I ask is, "Do you need any help?" It has taught me the importance of being helpful and why it is needed. I have gained the satisfaction in knowing that I helped make a difference this year for families all over Pomona. It has been an experience I will never forget and will cherish forever. 
    
Applied
What I've done at mentorship has helped me answer my EQ because a lot of what I've done has been helping families receive services for their mentally ill children. I helped them by connecting them to services they were unable of reaching on their own and needed assistance getting. My simple phone calls allowed them to make appointments and get the help they were in need of. Not only did I set them up with services, but I also would make follow up calls to see how the families were doing. Sometimes the families would forget about their appointments with services and I would help them set up different appointments to get the help that they needed. Through this, I learned the absolute importance of treatment for mentally ill children and families. When making follow up calls and asking how things were going with the family, a lot of them responded with positive things to say and would thank me for helping them get those services. It was an overall rewarding experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment